Friday, July 11, 2008

From Justin


Valise-ian Fields

For Drea: Thank you for cooking for me.

I've often said that when I die, I want everything I own to fit into a suitcase. This is only because I have a really bulky toothbrush. Otherwise, I would just use a Wal-Mart bag. But then the eco-nuts would draw-and-quarter me and use me for organic compost. So, yes, Samsonite. Banville says that maybe life is all a great preparation for the leaving of it. That sounds very neatly contained, and I think that's a part of it, sure. But even more than my suitcase-stuff, I want to de-collect invisible things. I want, when I die, to smile at the thought of breathing being my last, heaviest burden. I will have forgiven and been forgiven. I will have loved and been loved. I will live and leave and live again. You can keep the suitcase.

-justin mcdevitt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duly noted. Accidentally selecting the wrong word is the inevitable result of using spell check. I am thinking you were a newspaper editor at some point.

I am glad you enjoyed my poem. I think your writing is good as well. But to be honest, it’s a bit odd that you left a comment on my blog. I think you are an interesting person, Drea. And from what I know of you we have a lot in common. However, I am not sure how to respond to you considering the circumstances.

Justin McDevitt said...

Dude, that guy is nuts...