Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ashes to ashes

Last night marked the beginning of Lent. I marked my Lenten Journey quite literally with ash. There's something about the Imposition of Ashes that's humbling and reflective. We're called to live a life of penitence, regretting our trangressions and recognizing our fatality. And yet Christ calls us out of ashes and invites us to live in freedom and grace. Do not walk around mourning and rending your garments, he says. Instead, rend your hearts to the Lord. cover yourself in oils and let your spirit be lifted up. I'm anticipating this Lenten season moreso than previous ones. I hope that this journey would be a time for reflection and preparation, that I may come to understand more fully the death and ressurection of Christ. From dust I was made, and to dust I will return.

Holy Father, you are near.
We tremble at your swift coming.
The day comes when you cause the sky to darken,
when you make the Earth empty and barren,
you dull the stars.
Our spirits tremble, like the Heavens.
We offer our hearts to you, torn.
We cry out for your mercy,
to find us without fault.
Lord, be slow to anger.
Relent!
We do not know whether this cup will pass;
we only hope that blessing is left,
and not curses.
And so we lift up our hearts to the Lord,
our weeping,
our transgressions,
our attempts at holiness.
We offer up these things to you,
our filthy rags.
Spare us, O God.
Have pity.
When the nations say,
"Where is their God?"
may we respond with joy,
He is among us.
He has restored us with the oil of gladness.
We are satisfied in him.
Amen.


(Litany based on Joel 2:1-2,12-18)

1 comment:

Matthew Paul Turner said...

Hey Drea,

Send me your email, and I'll forward the PDF to you!

MatthewPaulTurner@gmail.com